Friday, August 24, 2012

Apples+Cinnamon+Crumb+Cake=Aunt Jemima Delicious

My mom and I were drinking coffee together yesterday morning wishing we had some kind of sweet to go with our coffee when the bag of Aunt Jemima self rising flour caught our eye. My mother told me to save recipes on the back of products that I like so I have new things to try to make when I realized that there was a recipe for a scrumptious sounding coffee cake on the back of the flour! We checked it out and there it was, a recipe for Cinnamon Apple Coffee Crumb Cake! Ahhh! Just what we were craving! Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I love southern cooking! I love the feel of making it at home and I love the taste as well! Traditional southern cooking is pretty interesting, if you ever see a southern cookbook, take a look because you will find the most wild recipes ever! I love trying new things and I love crumb cake so why not try this recipe, right? Oh, sooo right....this crumb coffee cake came out sooooo good that it was gone in a day and a half! It has that soft texture on the inside with layers of sliced apple and cinnamon crumbs on the inside and the top! I will never buy another crumb cake again when I can make this heavenly cake at home in no time at all. Simple and delicious, this cake recipe is now a staple cake to have in my cookbook. This would make a great cake to bake before company is coming over or something to bake and bring over someones house. Aunt Jemima made a definite crowd pleaser and did us all the favor of putting the recipe on the back of her flour package for all to enjoy :)

Aunt Jemima's Cinnamon-Apple Coffee Cake
Makes a 9 inch square cake or a regular size bundt pan

Cinnamon Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Aunt Jemima self rising flour
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 cup butter melted

Cake:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups Aunt Jemima self rising flour
1 cup milk
2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced

For cinnamon topping, combine dry ingredients, add butter, and mix until crumbly.

For cake, beat together butter and sugar until creamy; blend in egg. Add flour alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition. Spread half of batter into greased 9 inch pan, top with half of the sliced apples and with half of the cinnamon crumb top. Repeat with remaining batter, apples and topping. Bake in preheated oven (375 degrees F) for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool slightly, serve warm. Pour yourself a cup of coffee or a glass of milk, cut a slice of this cake and enjoy a heavenly experience :) Oh no, don't thank me, thank Aunt Jemima!

This cake is phenomenal, smashing, tasty, scrumptious, delicious!

4 comments:

  1. I've been looking for this recipe for FOREVER! I originally found it cut out of a magazine and thrown into my Mom's cookbook ages ago and then I lost it. So thankful you posted this so I can make it again, it's the best coffee cake ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished baking the Apple Cinnamon crumb cake and it is absolutely delicious. I will be baking this again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for this recipe as well. I also love the pancake recipe on the back of the SRF bag. I have that memorized, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you posted this. I was going crazy looking for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete